The annual average energy intensity has improved by 2% from 2017 to 2025 and the coverage of energy consumption with mandatory energy conservation requirements has reached 42%
Citizen participation: Taiwan plans to accumulate 20GW of solar power capacity by 2025 by revising the rooftop solar power objectives from 3GW to 8GW to make full use of vacant space on rooftops. New industrial parks are included in regulations for rooftop solar power and regulations for expanded construction by major power users. The government also plans to expand cogeneration with livestock.
Composite use: Promote the integration of ground–mounted PV systems with existing land to expand special zones for fishery production and the use of areas unfavorable to agricultural development.
Ensure stable demand: The government shall continue to follow the requirements in industry-related plans and release 1GW of capacity each year starting from 2026, to create a market scale of 15GW for zonal development by 2035 to attract investors.
Increase investment in the industry: Intensify cooperation between foreign and local industry chains; make use of the financial support system to become part of the international green energy industry chain and the Asian market.
- Increase green energy stability: Use smart prediction (AI and big data applications) and smart dispatch (energy storage and thermal power units) to help incorporate 27GW of renewable energy into the grid by 2025.
- Increase electricity supply quality: Increase the ratio of automatic electricity restoration for blackouts in areas without failure within 5 minutes to 25% by 2020 and 70% by 2025.
- Encourage users to save energy: Complete the distribution of 3 million low-voltage meters by 2024. Increase the scale of demand response to 2.8GW (approximately 7% of the peak load) by 2025 to increase dispatch flexibility.
- Hardware: Enter the mass application phase for fixed energy storage facility. Installed capacity of fixed energy storage reach 1000MW by 2025; complete necessary infrastructure for mobile energy storage.
- Software: Complete the regulations for power dispatch, V2G (vehicle to grid), etc.
- Focus on the key R&D for next-generation green energy: Continue to increase the efficiency of mature green energy technologies (solar PV and wind power) and support the commercialization of green energy technologies under development (geothermal and ocean energy).
- Shalun Smart Green Energy Science City: Zone D of the Science City will be dedicated to promoting industries related to green energy. Zone C will accommodate international accelerators and provide space for entrepreneurs, with a focus on attracting startups in smart technologies, AI, and IoT.
Create a green supply chain and improve the green energy trading market
- Provide sufficient funding for transformation and cultivate the green supply chain: Use the "Green Finance Action Plan" to encourage domestic banks to provide green energy loans, investment, and green bonds. Use the "National Financing Guarantee Mechanism" to provide guarantees for green energy projects, to diversify risks, and to promote green energy financing and domestic manufacturing.
- Establish the “Green Energy Certification Trading Center”: Establish the Green Energy Trading Platform and improve related regulations.